Home » Students » Financial Aid » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I apply for Financial Aid for the following school year?
You should apply as soon after January 1st as possible after taxes have been electronically filed. When you begin the FAFSA, use the IRS data retrieval tool to minimize the possibilities of verification.

What deadline dates do I need to remember?
The Coast Community College District priority deadline is March 2nd for Cal Grant, however you may continue to apply for student financial aid through the end of the academic year provided you are still enrolled.
Please see the important dates section of this website for specific deadlines.

What are the office hours for the Financial Aid Office?
Please refer to the contact us page.

If I am enrolled at two colleges, can I receive student financial aid at both colleges?
Students may only receive financial aid (Pell grant, loans, etc.) at ONE college per term.  The only exception is the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) fee waiver.  Students may receive the CCPG fee waiver at multiple community colleges during the same period of enrollment.

Is Financial Aid available only to poor people?
Student financial aid is intended both to assist students and families who cannot afford the cost of an education beyond high school and to fill the gap for families who can afford only part of the cost of attendance.

What if I don't have a Social Security number or don't want to report it on the FAFSA?
It is necessary to provide your Social Security number on the FAFSA. If you do not yet have a number, you should contact your Social Security Administration office to obtain one. It is required before you can be considered for any federal student aid program. The FAFSA will be returned unprocessed if the student's Social Security number is blank.

I plan to go to college half time. Will that lessen my chance for student financial aid?
Almost all funds are available to students who attend college at least half time. Some institutions, however, give preference to full-time students. Some programs are available for less than half-time attendance.

My neighbor and I both applied for student financial aid at the same college. Why did she get more aid then I did when they've got a bigger house than ours and their parents make more money than mine?
The circumstances in your neighbor's family may be different than they appear, and home equity is not used to determine eligibility for federal aid. What doesn't necessarily show are other factors, such as some debts or number in college, which affects the computation of the expected family contribution (EFC).

What happens if I purposely provide inaccurate information and I'm caught?
If you use the FAFSA to apply for federal student aid funds and provide false information, you are subject to fines and/or imprisonment under the U.S. Criminal Code. State and local laws may also apply in such cases.

I don't feel it is the college's right to request my U.S. tax transcripts. What happens if I don't submit them?
If you fail to comply with a request for U.S. tax transcripts, the college will discontinue processing your application for student financial aid.

Must I be accepted for admission before I apply for student financial aid? Must I be admitted before I receive aid?
You may apply for student financial aid at the same time you apply for admission. Many colleges require that you be admitted before they offer student financial aid. However, you must actually enroll in courses before you receive any student financial aid funds.

Do I have to apply for student financial aid each year?
Yes. Your financial situation must be reassessed each year. However, after the first time you apply for student financial aid, you will be sent a Renewal FAFSA that will ask you to answer some questions again and recheck the answers to others.

If I withdraw from all my courses after I've received student financial aid, do I need to repay any of the funds?
If a student withdraws before 60% of course completion from all courses, yes, there is a possibility that you will need to repay funds. Please check with your college student financial aid office before withdrawing from courses.