Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Financial Aid Banner Image
Financial Aid

​​​ B​​oard of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW)

The Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) is a form of CA State aid that waives the enrollment fee ($46/unit) for eligible CA resident students.  The primary form of application for this aid is the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  Students who complete the FASFA will have the best chance of qualifying for a BOGFW. click here to complete the FAFSA now

The District highly recommends that students complete a FAFSA; however, students who prefer not to use the FAFSA may apply for the BOGFW by clicking on their home college below.  It is important that students who choose alternative BOGFW application understand that many students who do not qualify for a BOGFW using this method, would have qualified had they chosen to complete the FAFSA.

 CCC                  GWC                   OCC


Important Program Update 

In an effort to help students succeed in the California community colleges, the Student Success Act of 2012 (California Senate Bill 1456) was signed into law by Governor Brown. Among other aspects, the Act included the creation of minimum academic and progress standards that must be met for continued eligibility for the Board of Governors Fee Waiver Program (BOGFW). These are different and separate standards from those for student federal aid, Cal Grant, and enrollment priority.


The Academic and Progress Standards for the BOGFW are:

​      Academic Standards   ​Progress Standards
​Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher ​Cumulative satisfactory completion of more than 50% of all coursework attempted


  • These standards do not apply to foster youth (24 years and younger).
  • Eligibility to receive support services is not affected.
  • Exemption is extended to enrollment priority.
  • The 100 total degree-applicable completed unit cap does not apply to the BOGFW.


In order for students to maintain BOGFW eligibility, they must meet both the Academic and Progress Standards listed above. 

In the future, within 30 days of the end of a primary term (Fall or Spring), the College will send a communication to those students who failed to meet the standards for two consecutive primary terms and will include instructions for how to appeal the loss of the BOGFW. This appeal is separate from any appeal for federal student aid, and the approval of one appeal will not mean the automatic approval of the other.

For some helpful videos on BOGFW Academic and Progress standards, and how to appeal loss of the BOGFW, please click on this link.




Students will be able to appeal the loss of the Board of Governors Fee Waiver based upon the following verifiable circumstances:

  • Extenuating circumstances – cases of accidents, illnesses, or other circumstances beyond a student's control.
  • A change in a student's economic situation.
  • Evidence that a student was unable to obtain essential support services.
  • Special consideration of factors for CalWORKs, EOPS, DSPS, and veteran students.
  • Students with disabilities who applied for but did not receive accommodation in a timely manner.
  • Significant academic improvement.
  • Successful appeal for enrollment priority extends to the fee waiver.

Students who do not meet the standards will receive notifications no later than 30 days from the semester end date.

To begin the appeal process, please complete the appeal form:   




Who Qualifies for BOGFW?


The Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) waives your course enrollment fee if you are a California resident, and if one of the following conditions applies to you when you enroll:

  • You are qualified for federal student financial aid during the same academic year for which you are seeking a BOGFW and have a need of $1,104. 
  • You or your parents are receiving TANF/Cal WORKS benefits, SSI or General Assistance at the time that you apply for the BOGFW A. You will be required to provide documentation to show participation in one of these programs.
  • You fall into the qualifying income bracket as determined by filling out a BOGFW B application. The Financial Aid Office will process your application and notify you if you qualify.
  • You qualify according to one of these groups:
  1. Certification from the CA Department of Veterans Affairs that you are eligible for a dependent's fee waiver?
  2. Certification from the National Guard Adjutant General that you are eligible for a dependent's fee waiver?
  3. Certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs that you are eligible as a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor or as a child of a recipient?
  4. Certification form the CA Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board that you are eligible as a dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack?
  5. Certification from a public agency employer that you are eligible as a dependent of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty?

The Orange County Veterans Service Office must complete the certification form. For more information contact (714) 480-6555​. Reminder - you must also complete the online Board of Governors Fee Waiver application at the links below; please click on your home college's logo:

Coastline Community College 
 CODE: 013536

Golden West College 
 CODE: 001206

Orange Coast College
CODE: 001250


Military Contract Education and Military Spouse Programs are not eligible for the Board of Governors Fee Waiver.

How does the BOGFW work?

You do not receive an electronic funds transfer or a debit card; instead your enrollment fees are waived after registration activity. You are responsible for paying any and all fees remaining which include the Health Fee, College Service Charge, material fees, and parking permit.

Your Board of Governors Fee Waiver will be posted on the college’s registration fee screen and will be valid for Coastline Community College, Golden West College, and Orange Coast College. If you paid your enrollment fees before the Board of Governors Fee Waiver was applied to your account, the Enrollment Center / Registration Office will complete a refund of those fees.

Revised: 8/4/2016